Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving ...

To say that the Hubs and I were looking forward to Thanksgiving break is an understatement.  We were both desperately looking forward to the little break from work - so as soon as we were allowed to leave work, we packed up and were outta there!


The holidays have proven to be a tricky time for us - we honestly want to please both sides of families but it's pretty hard for us to be in two places at once that are hours away from each other {thankfully Christmas is a bit easier for us to hit both families}.  Our solution is to rotate which family we spend Thanksgiving with, it just works best for us and it's the best way we have figured out to be "fair" to our family members. 

I'll be the first person to admit that both of us are still getting use to this new norm {along with our families}.  Last year we spent Thanksgiving with the Hubs family and it was my first year not seeing my parents on Thanksgiving - I'll admit that it wasn't easy being away from them, but I tried to push those feelings aside and enjoy the time with the Hubs family.  That being said, this year we were with my family and I was hoping that I could help the Hubs in knowing the mixed emotions I felt while spending the first holiday away from my parents. 

This year we headed down to the Lansing area to celebrate with my WHOLE family at my brother and sister-in-laws.  On the way down I realized that the last time we were all together was at the wedding!  Just like us, my brother and his family rotate holidays {We see them at Thanksgiving this year, so next year we'll see them at Christmas} and so we've tried to coordinate to make sure that the years they're with our family for Thanksgiving the Hubs and I will be there too!

My sister-in-law went all out with the decor - from the cute little banner to the beautiful table display for both the adults and kiddos!




The Hubs and I arrived to their house Wednesday evening so we were able to witness all the behind the scenes action with putting together the meal - which included washing the turkey while having it dance to "Let it Go" {Only my bother, only my brother ....}


We all enjoyed some snacks and time with each other before the yummy meal.





It worked out perfectly that there's a perfect amount of people for the kids table and the adult table - I'm just happy I've finally graduated from the kids table! 



I was in charge of bringing some wine - and so wine I brought!  The family was all making fun of the size of the bottle I brought {this picture really doesn't do justice with the size}.  But, I figured why not bring the HUGE bottle of wine from SAMs :)



After the yummy lunch/dinner the boys watched the Lions games they had taped while we were eating - I say watched loosely because two of them ended up taking a little turkey nap :)


Sweet little Ava took a little snooze on Grandma as well.


Things can get a bit crazy with 5 little ones around - lots of giggles, running, screaming - but I wouldn't want it any other way!  These people, oh how I love them all so!




So there you have it, our first Thanksgiving as a Mr. & Mrs. I am so thankful to have this guy by my side - He is my family and we are slowly creating our own traditions :)






No comments:

Post a Comment